WASHINGTON (Pakistan Point News / Sputnik - 16th February, 2019) The US state of California will file a lawsuit against President Donald Trump's administration over his decision to declare a national emergency to build a wall along the border, the state's Governor Gavin Newsom said in a statement on Friday.
"President Trump is manufacturing a crisis and declaring a made-up 'national emergency' in order to seize power and subvert the constitution," Newsom said. "Our message back to the White House is simple and clear: California will see you in court."
Newsom said Trump plans to redirect funds allocated to California for law enforcement efforts to combat drug cartels.
"This 'emergency' is a national disgrace, and the blame lays solely at the feet of the President," he said.
California's Attorney General Xavier Becerra said at a news conference on Friday that other US states would likely join in the lawsuit.
Earlier in the day, Trump signed a national emergency declaration to free up $8 billion in US Federal funds to install 234 miles' worth of steel barriers along the country's 1,950-mile border with Mexico.