SAN SALVADOR, Feb 1, (Pakistan Point News - APP - 01st Feb, 2017 ) - Relatives of more than 1,000 people murdered in the worst massacre of El Salvador's 1980-1992 civil war are to be given up to $35,000 each by a compensation commission set up Tuesday, the government said. The disbursement complies with a ruling by the Inter-American Court of Human Rights handed at the end of 2012. The court ordered a full investigation of the 1981 massacre that occurred in the town of El Mazote, where government troops assaulted and slaughtered its inhabitants on suspicion of aiding leftwing guerrillas.
It also said the remains of those killed should be given to their families for burial, and compensation paid. A president's office official, Roberto Lorenzana, confirmed that the commission had been formed to give the court-ordered compensation, of between $10,000 and $35,000, to each of the relatives. He and representatives of the families are sitting on the panel.