GHAZIABAD, India, , (Pakistan Point News - APP - 11th Nov, 2016 ) - Thirteen workers died in a fire at a suspected illegal garment factory on the outskirts of the Indian capital early Friday as they slept in the workshop. The blaze started in the early hours of the morning on the ground floor of the narrow residential building, which was being used to make fake leather jackets, on the eastern edge of New Delhi. Residents rushed to the factory after they heard screams from those trapped inside as the fire quickly spread to the first floor where most of the workers were sleeping, eyewitness Shahabudin Ali said.
"We started dousing the fire ourselves with buckets and garden pipes," he said. "The fire department officials reached only two hours after the fire." The police confirmed that 13 people died, adding that the fire was likely caused either by a short circuit or a cigarette. "The fire broke out at a factory in a residential area of Sahibabad around 4:30 am in the morning. Thirteen people, who were sleeping there have died and another two or three people are getting treated at the hospital," Bhagwat Singh, local police spokesman told AFP.
Police superintendent Salman Taj said that three of the dead were burnt to death while the others died of smoke inhalation. Residents and a local fire officer said that two of the workers survived by jumping from the building's balcony. "The two of them woke up by chance and say they screamed for others to wake up while running towards the terrace but others didn't wake up, perhaps it was already late," local fire officer Abbas Hussain said.