Quetta Suicide Blast: 53 Dead, 56 Injured: Sarfraz Bugti

Quetta suicide blast: 53 dead, 56 injured: Sarfraz Bugti

QUETTA, (Pakistan Point News - APP - 8th Augst,2016) : A powerful suicide bomb blast left 53 people dead among them 25 lawyers including Baz Muhammad Kakar and a journalist and 56 others suffered injuries including lawyers, journalists and civilians. The suicide bomber blew himself up outside the gate of Emergency Ward in Sandeman Civil Hospital Quetta, here on Monday. Home Minister Balochistan Mir Sarfraz Bugti confirmed the death of 53 (fifty three) in the tragic blast and said 56 others were under treatment in various hospitals of the city.

Chief Minister Balochistan, Nawab Sanaullah Khan Zehri and Inspector General Police, Ahsan Mehboob also confirmed that it was a suicide bomb explosion. The Home Minister said that 53 people died in the blast and 56 others were injured, adding that the terrorists targeted lawyers who were gathered at the gate of the hospital after bringing the dead body of President, Balochistan Bar Association, Bilal Anwar Kasi there who was gunned down by unknown armed men on Manno Jan Road Quetta, on Monday morning.

A cameraman of a private tv channel was among the dead. Most of the dead were lawyers while injured include lawyers and journalists. "Shehzad Khan, the cameraman of a private TV channel, Aaj News has died in the blast while performing his duty by covering the incident of the slain lawyer leader, Bilal Anwar Kasi," a police official said, adding that the most of the dead and injured are lawyers. Faridullah, reporter of a private TV channel, Dunya News, Mehmood, cameraman of private TV channel, Dawn News and Fateh Shakir, cameraman of private TV channel, 92 News were among the injured of the blast.

Advocate Sangat Jamaldini, the son of Senator Jahanzeb Jamaldini was also reportedly among the injured. Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti admitted the negligence of security personnel deployed for hospital security and said that responsible of such a blatant negligence would not be spared. The law enforcement personnel deployed for the security of the hospital were assigned duty for security and protection, he said, adding that an inquiry would be held to look into their negligence.

"Balochistan is in conflict zone and the government and people of the province are in state of war as they are fighting against terrorists and this war will continue till the end of terrorists," he said. Former president, Kamran Murtaza said that the senior lawyer leader and ex-president, Balochistan High Court Bar Association, Mir Baz Muhammad Kakar and other senior lawyer leaders of the lawyer community were killed in the civil hospital blast.

"A total twenty-five lawyers were killed in the suicide bomb attack and most of the injured were also lawyers according to details provided by the officials so far," Kamran said. The police said that unknown miscreants opened indiscriminate fire at Bilal Anwar Kasi, the President of Balochistan Bar Association and managed to escape from the scene. Bilal Anwar Kasi who suffered multiple gunshot wounds died on the spot. The body of the senior lawyer was brought to Sandeman Civil Hospital for postmortem and legal formalities.

Soon after listening the news about target killing of Bilal Anwar Kasi, a large number of lawyers including senior lawyer leaders reached Civil Hospital. Media teams also reached there for the coverage of the incident. "During that, a powerful bomb explosion happened, which left 53 persons dead and 56 others injured, a senior police official said. Most of the injured were shifted to Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Quetta. The powerful blast heard from far away created panic and harassment among people.

Several vehicles were damaged and windowpanes of the hospital and nearby buildings were shattered. The firing also took place at the hospital soon after the incident. The law enforcement agencies including the Frontier Corps, Police and Balochistan Constabulary have cordoned off the adjacent areas of the hospital. The hospital sources said that 37 bodies were placed at Sandeman Civil Hospital, 15 at CMH Quetta and remaining at other hospitals.

There was no immediate claim for the responsibility of the bomb explosion as the police officials said that they could not comment on who might be behind this act of terror. However, some police officials said that two legs were founds outside the emergency ward and they feared that these might be of the suicide bomber. Later, the Bomb Disposal Squad confirmed that it was suicide explosion. "Eight kilogram of explosive and steel balls were used in the suicide blast," official of the Bomb Disposal Squad said.

Chief Minister Balochistan, Nawab Sanaullah Khan Zehri strongly condemned the blast and said that the culprits involved in this act of terror would be brought to justice. "Stern action will be taken against the elements involved in acts of terror", the Chief Minister said. The Chief Minister said that he had directed all authorities concerned to provide best possible health care facilities to the injured.