WASHINGTON, (Pakistan Point News - APP - 4th August, 2016) - Ford Motor Company on Thursday announced the recall of 830,000 cars and vans in the United States and Mexico for the replacement of faulty side-door latches. While drivers may have difficulty in shutting doors, doors may also open after having been closed, posing a safety risk, the company said. "In certain situations where the door is able to be closed, the door may unlatch while driving, increasing the risk of injury," it said.
Ford said there was one reported accident and one reported injury that may be related to the defect. Recalled vehicles include certain 2013 to 2015 C-MAX cars and Escape sport utility vehicles, 2012-2015 model years of the Focus, and 2014-2016 Transit Connect vans as well as 2015 Mustang and Lincoln MKC model years. Reported problems were more prevalent in hotter, sunnier climates, meaning the recall was focused on US states across the south, Hawaii, California and the Pacific Northwest, the company said.
About 61,000 of the affected cars are in Mexico. The announcement follows recent recalls of Ford vehicles in 2016 and 2015, including Lincoln MKC and Ford Explorer vehicles for the replacement of engine block heaters and of F-650 and F-750 trucks to replace cable connector clips in parking brakes. The company in May recalled 271,000 2013 and 2014 F-150 pickups to replace brake master cylinders. Recorded in the third quarter, this latest recall will cost $270 million, the company said in a regulatory filing. But Ford remains on track to achieve 2016 pre-tax results equal the $10.8 billion reported last year, it said.