WASHINGTON (Pakistan Point News / Sputnik - 20th September, 2020) The US Commerce Department says it is postponing the planned block of new TikTok downloads until September 27, in light of US President Donald Trump's new announcement.
"In light of recent positive developments, Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross, at the direction of President Trump, will delay the prohibition of identified transactions pursuant to Executive Order 13942, related to the TikTok mobile application that would have been effective on Sunday, September 20, 2020, until September 27, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.," the Commerce Department said on Saturday.
Earlier on Saturday, Trump said he had approved the purchase of TikTok, a video-sharing app owned by Chinese company ByteDance, to US software company Oracle, with the possible participation of Walmart.
"I approved the deal in concept," Trump told reporters, saying that conceptually, "it's a great deal for America."
On Friday, the US Commerce Department said that Trump's executive order was going to block US users from downloading TikTok starting from September 20 and was going to ban the use of the app in the US from November 12.