RugbyL: Radford Determined To End Hull's Wembley Hoodoo

RugbyL: Radford determined to end Hull's Wembley hoodoo

LONDON, (Pakistan Point News - APP - 30th july, 2016) - Hull FC coach Lee Radford said his side were desperate to emerge as Wembley winners after coming from behind to beat Wigan 16-12 in a Challenge Cup semi-final. The Black and Whites trailed at the interval to George Williams's try, despite having the best of possession and territory, but hit back through former NRL stars Steven Michaels and Fetuli Talanoa after the break. Two Marc Sneyd penalties in either half were also ultimately vital for Hull in Friday's victory at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium.

Now, after booking a third trip to Wembley in the last eight years, Radford is determined to mastermind the club's first win at the iconic London stadium. "I'm really pleased obviously as there was not a great deal between the two sides, I said that before we started, but it came down to who wanted it the most," he said. "I felt we just had that little bit extra. At half-time we spoke about that special play because there was nothing really in-between the two teams.

"Somebody had to come up with it and it was really important that we found it. "I want to right that wrong at Wembley, and get that record fixed up, I really do. It will put an end to the 'You'll never win at Wembley' song that's for sure." Meanwhile, an emotional Hull skipper Gareth Ellis praised his team-mates' gritty performance, and revealed he is hoping for a showdown with former club Wakefield Trinity, who face Warrington in Saturday's second semi-final, at Wembley on August 27.

He said: "You get a little bit older and you think that this opportunity is not going to come, but we've been outstanding all year and I thought we were outstanding again tonight. "If I'm being slightly critical we probably weren't clinical enough in that first half but the effort that the boys showed, particularly in defence on our own try-line, was unbelievable. "It was a great game. It would be something special to see my old club (Wakefield) make the final as well, but I'm really happy about tonight.

" Defeat meant Wigan were left waiting for a 20th Challenge Cup crown and they must now turn their attentions to the Super 8s, where they face Castleford next week in one of a series of matches that will determine this season's Super League champions. Wigan coach Shaun Wane said his side were inconsolable after their semi-final loss. "They (Hull) were absolutely the best team, but I am very proud of our efforts as well," he said.

"To be honest we gave ourselves too much to do. We turned the ball over a lot on play one or two again, but the desire my team showed was excellent and it will help us further on in the year. "But this is very tough to take, and the players are as devastated as I've ever seen them, because I thought they were there for the taking. "We did so much defending that when we did get the ball our attack wasn't crisp."